Ad-Lib Feeding is where food is available at all times with the quantity and frequency of consumption being the free choice of the animal.
- Introduce feed and build up intakes gradually.
- Once established on ad-lib feed, never allow animals to run out of feed, straw or water.
- Vermin and Bird control is essential
- Good trough management is essential, never let troughs go empty, but don’t allow stale feed to build up either
- Avoid any sudden changes in the diet, if changes are unavoidable ensure the new diet is introduced in stages by mixing it with the previous concentrate for a 7-10 day period.
- There should be water freely available at all times and troughs should be cleaned at least twice a week or sooner is contaminated
- Consumption of adequate roughage is essential, animals should have access to straw at all times